Pages

We all have things we need to do to make ourselves better people. Sometimes along the road we may work hard to improve ourselves. At other times, the best we can do is just survive. Endure. I've been in both situations and I'm guessing, so have you.

I get to work with the awesome youth in our church. In doing this, I also have the opportunity to work on a series of goals, just as I did in my youth. This program is called Personal Progress. It made quite an impact on me in my youth, and I have found in the few months since I started it again, there is much I am learning and that brings me strength.

So this blog is a record of my journey on that path. Feel free to comment, I'd love to know about your journey as well.

If you'd like to know more about the Personal Progress program or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, links are to the right. Enjoy!



Thursday, December 16, 2010

Virtue Value Experience #2

Virtuous living "at all times and in all things, and in all places" qualifies you for the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. When you are baptized and confirmed, you are given the gift of the Holy Ghost to guide all aspects of your life. Since the Holy ghost does not dwell in unclean tabernacles, living a virtuous life is a prerequisite to having the companionship of the Holy Ghost and receiving the blessings of temple ordinances. Read the following scripture references and identify the promised blessings: John 14:26-27; 15:26; 2 Nephi 32:1-5; and Doctrine and Covenants 45:57-59; 88:3-4; 121:45-46. In your journal record what you have learned, and write about a time when you felt the guidance of the Holy Ghost.

I love reading about the promised blessings of the Holy Ghost. I was particularly touched with Doctrine and Covenants 121:45-46-be full of charity towards all men and live in faith and be faithful-be virtuous and the Holy Ghost will be your constant companion and without 'compulsory means' it shall flow unto thee forever and ever. Wow. If I live the right way, the Spirit will just BE there. Love that promise!
I remember when my husband came home from work one morning in August 2007 and said he'd had an 'epiphany' that I could go to work part time for the insurance and he could work per-diem. No benefits, but making a lot more money. It also meant he could cut drastically down on his hours, which were significant.
I was less than thrilled with the idea. I had worked outside of the home before and did not want to miss out on raising my children and being there when they needed me. But I recognized enough in his 'epiphany' that I knew I needed to consider it.
I proceeded to less than halfheartedly look for work and update my resume and references. My husband came home from work one day, mentioning the many people who were moving from his unit to the new hospital once it opened. He had spoken with his manager and learned about some positions that were opening that I was qualified for. He told his manager about some of my experience and the manager asked that I call him. I felt stuck. . .smiling at my well-meaning husband, he went off to bed peacefully, and "grumble, grumble, grumble" went I.
Not being able to procrastinate that phone call very long, knowing that I was expected, I called and we had a chat. The manager of the department wanted to meet with me and we set up an interview time. This process was going a lot faster than I wanted it to! The interview went very well and, pending a reference check, I was essentially hired.
I had put off really praying about going back to work because I was afraid of the answer I would receive. Now it was crunch time. Time to get an answer and I couldn't deny it.
I remember it was in the evening. Either my wise, wonderful husband (no sarcasm there-he really is these things) was at work, or he' gone to bed and I'd stayed up. I knelt extremely conflicted next to the couch and I said a prayer. I was more conflicted than ever and I just cried and cried. As my tears quieted, I realized that submitting to the will of the Lord and truly getting an answer would be much preferable to the conflict I was experiencing. I also knew that the voice of reason to make the decision to submit to His will was not my own, but the very still, small voice of the Spirit.
With the decision to submit made, I prayed. I didn't just say a prayer. I prayed to know what would be right for our family. What Heavenly Father would have me do.
I knew two things at once. That I should accept this job offer, and that it would be a good thing for our family, that it would be a blessing.
From that time forward, I was fine. Truly fine. Countless blessings arose from that time in our lives:
-Our children spent more quality time with their paternal grandparents. Those early months of my going back to work before my husband's schedule was adjusted to be home more were the last few months on Earth that we had with Grandma. A fact we were not aware of at the time I first accepted the job.
-Dad was around a lot more-which was awesome!
-I made many new friends. Good and wonderful people who became lifelong friends.
-I felt successful! And appreciated! I say that so simply, but I know it was something I was in need of.
-I never had to work a night shift. I was scheduled to work Christmas Day the first year there. I was really sad, but we made plans to make the best of it. A week or so after the holiday schedule was released, I received a phone call from another person in my position who wanted to take my Christmas shift. He didn't have any family and wanted the overtime pay.
I am so grateful for the whisperings of the Spirit in our lives. And so eternally grateful that my Heavenly Father and husband know me enough to keep pushing me and have patience with me so that these blessings could be enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment