Pages

We all have things we need to do to make ourselves better people. Sometimes along the road we may work hard to improve ourselves. At other times, the best we can do is just survive. Endure. I've been in both situations and I'm guessing, so have you.

I get to work with the awesome youth in our church. In doing this, I also have the opportunity to work on a series of goals, just as I did in my youth. This program is called Personal Progress. It made quite an impact on me in my youth, and I have found in the few months since I started it again, there is much I am learning and that brings me strength.

So this blog is a record of my journey on that path. Feel free to comment, I'd love to know about your journey as well.

If you'd like to know more about the Personal Progress program or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, links are to the right. Enjoy!



Friday, May 13, 2011

Knowledge Value Experience #2

In your journal list talents you have and others you would like to develop. Read Matthew 25:14-30. Learn a new skill or talent that will help you care for your own future family or home (for example, playing the piano, singing, budgeting, time management, cooking, sewing, or child care). Share with your family, class, or Young Women leader what you have learned.

Sometimes it is really hard to think about all of the talents you may have. It is even harder to write them down, particularly in such a public place. A couple that I have come to be very comfortable with are playing the piano and public speaking.

Talents I would like to develop: a better piano teacher, patience amid the chaos (eye of the storm), a better all-around teacher, and preparing healthier meals and eating healthier myself.

One of Abbie's friends asked me several months ago if I would teach her to play the piano. Although Dave and I have discussed my teaching piano on occasion, I've never felt like my knowledge was adequate enough to justify making people pay me. When Rachel asked me personally if I would teach her, I accepted, feeling as though I could certainly help a beginning student get a good start.

She has been taking for about seven months and I have found it more rewarding that I expected. I have been able to fine tune my teaching and have grown comfortable enough that I am now taking on additional beginning students. It has become an unexpected blessing in my life, as well as a little financial boost to our family's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment