Pages

We all have things we need to do to make ourselves better people. Sometimes along the road we may work hard to improve ourselves. At other times, the best we can do is just survive. Endure. I've been in both situations and I'm guessing, so have you.

I get to work with the awesome youth in our church. In doing this, I also have the opportunity to work on a series of goals, just as I did in my youth. This program is called Personal Progress. It made quite an impact on me in my youth, and I have found in the few months since I started it again, there is much I am learning and that brings me strength.

So this blog is a record of my journey on that path. Feel free to comment, I'd love to know about your journey as well.

If you'd like to know more about the Personal Progress program or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, links are to the right. Enjoy!



Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Choice and Accountability - Value Experience 3

Agency, or the ability to choose, is one of God's greatest gifts to His children. Read about agency in Joshua 24:152 Nephi 2; and Doctrine & Covenants 82:2-10. Discuss the blessings and responsibilities of agency. Record in your journal your understanding of agency and the consequences of choices and actions.

I started this by studying the required reading and wrote some specific things down in my journal about the responsibilites and blessings of agency. I didn't feel as though I had learned much more than I knew. These were scriptures I was familiar with and although grateful to be reminded of them, I felt there was something more for me to learn.

Ask and it shall be given, right? Do you ever pause just a minute when you think about asking for greater understanding? Rarely does testimony grow without some kind of work.

Dave and I found out the other night that a couple that we knew from Kaysville is getting a divorce. It came as quite a shock to us and makes me so sad. Not just because of their marriage, but because I know and love their children. I worked with them often in Primary.

This knowledge came on the heels of my preparation for teaching a combined YW lesson on the home and the family. In my lesson, I used an example of a day at our house when decisions I have made throughout the day lead to a serious lack of organization, particularly at that crazy, busy time of the day. Namely: 4p to bedtime. My disorganization leads to chaos, confusion, and ultimately contention.

Because of my prep for my lesson, I've thought a lot about what I can do to make this time of day go more smoothly, so that I can be there for the kids. If my stuff is taken care of, then I can better handle all of the unexpecteds that go along with six different personalities.

I think of the heartache when someone you love makes a decision you don't like. I have felt sorrow, disappointment, and anger, and I have a couple of wisened years under my belt to help handle that. It is hard to watch my children go through those feelings when they don't like a decision their parents have made. I pray that the anger won't take hold in their hearts and they can find happiness - and, one day recognize where their happiness and true joy come from.

This is something I've watched in one of our children lately. Some days are good, some are bad. Combined with the stress of moving at this age, AND being this age. . .I have been so concerned at times for this boy that some days seems is teetering on the edge. The edge being staying in anger and taking the dark road that follows, or finding some light and realizing that is a happier place to be.

I don't recall days like that for me in my youth, although taking a glance back through journals from that time in my life I am shocked about some of the things I felt some days.

Today is one of those days that words cannot express my gratitude for my Heavenly Father's bounteous blessings. For piercing through the bitterness of a 12 year old to show His love for him. For the Light that today, helped him to just "get it."

Light always helps us make better decisions. Light makes things discernable.

No comments:

Post a Comment