Pages

We all have things we need to do to make ourselves better people. Sometimes along the road we may work hard to improve ourselves. At other times, the best we can do is just survive. Endure. I've been in both situations and I'm guessing, so have you.

I get to work with the awesome youth in our church. In doing this, I also have the opportunity to work on a series of goals, just as I did in my youth. This program is called Personal Progress. It made quite an impact on me in my youth, and I have found in the few months since I started it again, there is much I am learning and that brings me strength.

So this blog is a record of my journey on that path. Feel free to comment, I'd love to know about your journey as well.

If you'd like to know more about the Personal Progress program or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, links are to the right. Enjoy!



Tuesday, March 2, 2010

For the Strength of Youth Standard 1: Agency and Accountability

You can read about this standard here. Agency is a gift from Heavenly Father. I particularly love the line, "You are a child of God with great strength." That applies to every single one of us!

I know choosing right brings happiness. I have experienced this. The results bring me confidence in making choices in this confusing world.

I would love to work on the computer each day. Scrapbooking, designing. . .it makes it hard to want to clean and figure out dinner. However, when I get my work done early and have time later to play I feel so much better, and it causes less stress for me and everyone else. It is also easy for me to step away from the computer when the kids need me. It is hard to turn it off when all I'm looking at is icky work!

I love Alma 41:11. ". . .and they have gone contrary to the nature of God; therefore, they are in a state contrary to the nature of happiness."

Some people say feeling guilty about sinning is just a product of being brainwashed. That if we hadn't been trained to feel like we were sinning, we would feel no guilt. This simply isn't true.

When Adam and Eve partook of the fruit, they knew good from evil. There is a difference and we know it because evil is contrary to the nature of God whose children we are. Why would anyone choose to live contrary to the nature of happiness? With this scripture, this is so plain and obvious to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment