Pages

We all have things we need to do to make ourselves better people. Sometimes along the road we may work hard to improve ourselves. At other times, the best we can do is just survive. Endure. I've been in both situations and I'm guessing, so have you.

I get to work with the awesome youth in our church. In doing this, I also have the opportunity to work on a series of goals, just as I did in my youth. This program is called Personal Progress. It made quite an impact on me in my youth, and I have found in the few months since I started it again, there is much I am learning and that brings me strength.

So this blog is a record of my journey on that path. Feel free to comment, I'd love to know about your journey as well.

If you'd like to know more about the Personal Progress program or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, links are to the right. Enjoy!



Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Faith Value Experience 1

The first principle of the gospel is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Learn about faith from the scriptures and living prophets. Read Hebrews 11; Alma 32:17-43; Ether 12:6-22; and Joseph Smith-History 1:11-20. Read two general conference talks on faith. Exercise your own faith by establishing a habit of prayer in your life. Begin by regularly saying your morning and evening prayers. After three weeks of following this pattern, discuss with a parent or leader what you have learned about faith and how daily personal prayer has strengthened your faith. In your journal express your feelings about faith and prayer.

The talks from general conference I chose are: President Thomas S. Monson, Come Unto Him in Prayer and Faith (not actually from general conference, but it is from the Prophet, so I counted it); and Elder David A. Bednar, Ask in Faith.

As we make personal prayer a habit - a priority, we turn to our Heavenly Father throughout the day. Our thoughts turn to him more easily. Then He is able to strengthn our faith, in confirmations that cannot be denied come from Him. I tried to take my prayers to a different level, and to listen more during my prayers. I found myself praying more specifically about blessings and about particular needs - of mine and family members. Specifics I had not considered before.

I also found, that while I have kept a brisk pace at reading the Book of Mormon this time around, I had not focused a lot on likening the scriptures to myself. I found that as I have kept this little prayer in my heart, I have been blessed with greater inspiration in those pages. Things I need to learn, things I need to remember.

Many friends, mostly from work, marveled at my attitude and excitement in moving our family away to further David's education. A couple of them even went so far as to suggest I stay in Utah with the kids for 27 months while he finished school. This thought was so foreign to me I couldn't even wrap my mind around it. When I said to my friend that surely, if she were in the same situation she would not separate her family. She assured me that she most certainly would.

My cheerfulness about his stage in our lives brought about so many comments that I've thought a bit about it. Should I be feeling like I've been gypped and am going through a terrible sacrifice? I don't think so. On the contrary, I feel very blessed.

So what is it exactly? Is it just some gift, some added blessing? Well certainly it is an added blessing, but my point is this: it is not just something that was already a part of me, waiting to bloom at the right time. My key to finding joy in the journey is this: pray about the decisions you make in your life. When you have a confirmation that you are doing what the Lord would have you to, it is easy. Not that life is suddenly a breeze, but you have the strength to do what is needed because you not only know you aren't alone - you know you won't be left alone. And if you make prayer and scriptures a priority in your life, your day can be filled with moments of comfort, joy, strength, and faith. What you need when you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment